Saturday, February 6, 2010

Be Healthy Y'all!

Once upon a time in a dorm room on Roosevelt Island (a little island in the East River nestled between the boroughs of Queens and Manhattan), there lived a girl who subsisted on boxed mac n' cheese, ramen noodles, pop tarts and McDonald's. This girl brazenly bragged about not being able to cook, and blabbed ad nauseum to anyone who'd listen, about how she would NEVER ever ever ever become domesticated. Life went by just like this for many years until her body revolted, and one day a little voice inside finally got the girls attention, and it said "Put DOWN that coca cola, and pick up this vegetable!!!!!!!", and she listened.

And that, my darlings, is more or less how I became a food enthusiast, and a pretty decent cook if I may say so myself. :-P

Food has become an extension of my philosophy and a important part of my lifestyle. Cooking is Yoga for me, because it stills and quiets my mind. And, as we learned last week in Sutra Study, Yoga IS the stilling of the fluctuations of the mind. Lately my cooking has become a creative and playful adventure, and I wish to share with you some of my favorite healthy and DELICIOUS dishes here.

I want to note that I follow an Ayurvedic diet for my overactive Pitta dosha. So, I avoid hot spices and spicy food in general. Always feel free to be creative and add a little somethin' somethin' if spicy food is your trip.

Be Healthy Y'all!!!!

Chick Pea Burgers

1 Can Chick Peas (drained and rinsed)
1/2 a cup H2O
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 tbsp plain oats
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp paprika
salt & pepper to taste

Put your chick peas in a pot with about half a cup of water (just enough to not quite cover them), and boil until very soft. The pour the whole pot, including the water into a mixing bowl and mash the chick peas well. Add the flour, oats, spices and mix together. You may have to add more water along the way to get the mixture to a "hamburger" type consistency. Remember to taste your mixture as you go along to make sure you've added enough spices, salt, and pepper.

Makes 2-4 patties (depending on how big you make 'em) that you can fry up in a pan with a little bit of olive oil.

delicious.

* notes: you can make your mixture in a blender or food processor if you have one. I don't so I do it by hand. Also, feel free to add ANY spices your little heart desires!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment